How to make a simple accordion book

Hello! It's been a while since I made a blog post, partially because my blog was created for a class and partially because I just couldn't think of anything I wanted to share. But now that I'm settling into the professional world I'm finding myself wanting to get back into creating projects by hand again, after spending all day working on a computer, getting back to making something tangible is so relaxing. Most of the time when I make something new I just share it on my Instagram and Facebook pages, but while I was working on a project this weekend I thought about how cool it would be to get to share a detailed process of how I make some of my favorite things so others can enjoy making them as well!

I'm going to try to make these how-to posts every time I feel inspired to do so, not necessarily on a schedule like your typical blog. Just like everything in the art world I hope to provide some tools and inspiration, but don't be afraid to go off the beaten path! Making art is so freeing and good for your health so even if it doesn't turn out how you want you'll still come out with something beautiful.

This project was inspired by the book arts class I took during my last semester at Ohio Northern. If you're ever in the position to take a book arts class I highly recommend doing it, I've dabbled in a huge variety of mediums and book making is one of my absolute favorites now. There are a TON of folds, bindings, and materials you can use to create such unique pieces. Plus it's super cool to be able to talk about the books you've made. So without further ado, here is how you can create your own little book!

Time commitment:

Making a book can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few months depending on what you want to make. But this little book took me approximately 3 hours to complete.

What you'll need:

  • Paper
    • The size and weight of your paper will determine what you need. Want to make an 8"x10" book? You're going to need some extra large sheets. Want to make a 3"x3" book? Some 8.5"x11" or similar size paper will work just fine! You can calculate what you need by multiplying your page dimensions by the amount of pages you want. Note: if you need to do a long book simply fold the paper as described in this post and glue the ends of each section into one continuous sheet by stacking the ends together.
  • Glue
    • The type of glue is also dependent on what you're making, but always have a simple school glue-stick nearby. There is really good book glue out there, but tacky glue is much more accessible and will do the job just fine!
  • X-Acto knife
    • Use scissors as a last resort if you don't have an X-Acto on hand, a ruler and blade will give you much more accurate cuts which is very important in book making.
  • Cutting mat
  • Pencil and eraser
  • A ruler
  • Decorative elements
    • Again, this is up to you and what you want to make. For this project I used a birthday card for the covers and markers for the artwork. There are a lot of ways to make book covers though, you can use book board for nice thick covers, but you can really use anything you'd like!

Here's how to do it:

1. Decide on your book dimensions

Books come in all shapes and sizes so be creative, this example is 3"x3".

2. Cut your paper

Begin by calculating what you need for the pages, it might take some trial and error so try it out with scrap paper first. Refer to the instructions listed in the supplies section to figure out exactly what you need.

If you want a book just like mine you'll need:
  • One 3"x12" strip
  • Four 2.75"x2.75" squares
  • Four 2.5"x2.5" squares
  • Two 3"x3" covers (I used a birthday card)

3. Fold the paper

My book arts professor always reminded us that paper has memory, so what does that mean? Well, have you ever folded a piece of paper in half only to find that it was way off center, and then when you tried to correct it you were left with a big ugly crease on one side? When you're making a book you want to avoid bad paper memories, too many mis-folds and you'll end up with a bulky book that doesn't sit correctly. Don't stress though, there's a simple way to do it right!

First, fold it down the middle. You can get the best fold by lining up the ends and keeping a strong hold on them while pressing a crease into the opposite end. Then you just open it back up and fold each end to that new middle crease, repeat until you have all of the pages you need!*

*Note: professionals use a bone folder to make these creases and they really do make a big difference. But if this is a one-time hobby for you take the opposite end of a pen and rub the crease to make it clean.

4. Make your artwork

You can put your artwork directly on the pages or add them with extra paper like I did. Use whatever mediums you want and be creative! For this example I used alcohol markers and Micron pens to make graphic floral patterns. 

5. Glue

Alright, you have all of the pieces, time to put it together! Make sure to use enough glue to keep everything secured but not enough that it spills over onto the edges of the paper, that just looks messy. I usually start with the covers and then put together the inside, but you can do whatever works for you. Glue the covers directly onto the ends of the paper strip that makes up the pages.

6. Let it all dry

As tempting as it is to fold everything up and admire your work it's best to keep it all flat until it's completely dry. If you notice pages curling from the glue put something on top to flatten it all back out.

7. Admire your handmade book!

You did it, yay you! Now fold it all up and take some pictures to post online to show your friends. Then find a nice little spot where you can enjoy your work.


The back of the book when unfolded, the back cover is green and the front is a floral pattern.

Thanks for checking out my blog, I hope you were able to make something beautiful too! DM me on Instagram (@emily.k.designs) if you have any questions on how to make this yourself.

Comments

Should I start a freelance business?

Popular posts from this blog

My Pinterest Problem

How much lettuce have you eaten?

Why women don't have pockets.