The Blue Highlighter: Edition 1

Let me explain the title. Part of my social media class involves posting once a week about what I’ve been reading that week in my textbook, and I always use a blue highlighter in my book. Hence, The Blue Highlighter. I’m sorry, I know I’m not as clever as I think I am, but bear with me! My goal is to talk about one or two of the most interesting things I’ve learned each week, so far I’m hoping I can limit myself to that so we’ll just see how it goes.

The textbook I’m working from right now isThe Art of Social Media” by Guy Kawasaki and Peg Fitzpatrick and it is quite cute. I’m guessing it measures about five by seven inches and it’s actually pretty interesting. So let’s get to it, here are my takeaways from chapters one through four.


There is a huge variety of social media etiquette

When I started my reading I was astounded by the amount of “rules” that were listed when it comes to life online. Now, of course these are all opinions but I must say, the more I thought about it the more I agreed with the authors. It really does annoy me when people post more than 4 times on Facebook a day. And it completely gets under my skin when people have a 2 inch section of hashtags under their Instagram Post. I’m not saying I’m not guilty of breaking the rules, I just never thought that much about it.

Holy resources

There are SO MANY resources out there to make your social media more professional. I counted over 30 websites just in my four chapters of reading. You can monitor comments, views, shares, EVERYTHING. You can even time when your accounts will be posted to, meaning you can set your content to come out at the most optimal times throughout the day. Making it possible to reach as many people as possible. Maybe I’m a nerd but I think that’s pretty cool.


I will definitely be stepping up my social media game this semester. Hopefully the tidbits from my reading will help you do the same. Happy surfing!

Comments

Should I start a freelance business?

Popular posts from this blog

How much lettuce have you eaten?

My Pinterest Problem

First impressions of Periscope