Starbucks Healthy Upgrades

Like most people, I enjoy a Starbucks drink every once in a while. I try not to make it a habit, however, because of the excessive amounts of sugar found in my favorite treats. If you do not believe me, just look at this diagram from Wake the Wolves.


4.2g of sugar=1tsp
Men should have up to 9tsp a day
Women should have up to 6tsp a day

With two new coffee stands on campus, stopping between classes is hard to resist. Especially when coursework is tough and energy levels start to decline. So instead of depriving myself or derailing my attempt at healthy eating, I did some research to find healthy alternatives.


Simple Substitutions

The easiest thing to do is take what you normally get and "health it up." If you get coffee, add almond or coconut milk instead of whole. Try to cut back on the pumps of sugar and flavoring, once you cut back on your intake foods that were savory before will become more sweet and you will feel a lot better.

The Classics

Starbucks is home to extravagant, over the top coffee drinks. But do not forget the classics. A simple hot or iced coffee, green tea or espresso will make you feel like you are getting a treat without filling you with sugar.


Better Pink Drink

The Pink Drink has taken the internet by storm, and for good reason I have heard. There is no reason not to enjoy, but instead of filling yourself with processed sugar, try this version instead.
  • Unsweetened passion fruit tea
  • Coconut/almond milk
  • Freeze dried strawberries

Better Frappuccinos

This one could have gone under the "substitutions" category, but since frappuccinos are so popular it felt like they should have their own section. Although delicious, without editing these are basically glorified milk shakes. Here are some things you can do to cut back without sacrificing too much flavor.
  • Skip the whipped cream
  • Avoid whole milk, try coconut or almond instead
  • Ask for half as many pumps of sugar
  • Get a smaller size, they even have a mini version now!

Better Chai Tea Latte

This drink is easy to order! Just ask for no added sweetener to make it a healthier alternative.


Better Pumpkin Spice Latte

I could not make a Starbucks blog post at the end of September without including this iconic drink. Here is how you can update your favorite fall pick me up.
  • Ask for one pump of pumpkin spice syrup
  • Get 2 percent milk
  • Skip the whipped cream





Have you tried any of these easy alternatives? Let me know what you thought of them in the comments!

Comments

  1. I knew there had to be a decent amount of sugar in Starbucks' drinks, but I didn't realize how excessive it was! Fortunately, I usually prefer the classic coffee, green tea or chai. Thanks to this post, I'll think twice before splurging on my next chocolate frappuccino. Thanks for the eye-opening information, Emily!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Should I start a freelance business?

Popular posts from this blog

How much lettuce have you eaten?

My Pinterest Problem

Why women don't have pockets.