What Else I Did This Summer

Last week I told you about my biggest adventure of the summer, this week I want to tell you about what else I did. Like a lot of college students, I had both an internship and a job, and it was a great experience.

A marketing piece I did for Comstor.
My internship was through Comstor Outdoor, an advertising company in Huntsville, Ohio. It is owned by Jason Duff who also happens to be an Ohio Northern University alumni (go bears). The cool thing about my internship is that I could do it remotely. I would have weekly projects that I would work on at home, in a coffee shop, or wherever else I wanted. On Monday mornings, I would join in on their business meetings and share what I had done, get critiques and learn more about how the business worked. My projects included billboard mock ups, marketing materials and a few social media content updates. It was a great experience and it taught me about not only working with clients, but also how businesses run behind the scenes.

My summer drink menu design for Six Hundred Downtown.
I also worked as a hostess at Six Hundred Downtown, a world-famous pizza and Italian restaurant in my hometown. I have a love for small businesses so getting to learn about another one was perfect for me. My favorite thing about small businesses is that you can make an impact just by working there. You are not helping a millionaire add another zero to the end of their paycheck, you are helping families and your community. With a smaller staff, you also get to know your coworkers much better and you get unique opportunities. I had the chance to design the summer drink menu and help with other design projects because my boss had genuine interest in what I do. That is the coolest thing ever and that is part of why I love supporting local.


This summer I worked hard, I learned a lot and I had tons of fun. In my opinion spending a summer working close to home is one of the best things you can do as a college student. It is easy to go straight to big, well known businesses, but do not overlook the things in your own backyard. I guarantee you will learn something new about your community and it might make you fall in love with it a little more.

Comments

  1. Emily, I'm so excited to hear that you got cool design experience out of both jobs this summer, and that you got to work at your own pace for your internship. Congrats on both of these, it sounds like you had an amazing summer!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Should I start a freelance business?

Popular posts from this blog

How much lettuce have you eaten?

My Pinterest Problem

Why women don't have pockets.