This should be your new hobby.

I have an interest that very few people know about, and that is abandoned and failed businesses. It all started about four years ago when I saw a post on Instagram about River Country.

River Country was a Disney water park that, while loved by many, eventually closed due to many unforeseen circumstances. What really drew me in was the fact that the remnants are still sitting on the Disney World property. It completely blew my mind that a company as renowned as Disney has an abandoned water park sitting in the middle of their amusement park, so I started to do some research to find out more about it.


River Country then and now


It was so interesting learning about the business, economic and tragic events that went into its closure. This research lead me to other abandoned, failed and cancelled Disney projects. Which lead to failed corporate businesses, malls and so on. Now I spend a good amount of my free time watching YouTube videos about places like these.

Bright Sun Films is my favorite channel to watch because the creator (his name is Jake) does not only show the abandoned places, he explains the complete history and eventual downfall of each business. The places I have found most interesting to learn about are Discovery Island, Blockbuster, Circuit City and the Rolling Acres Mall.


If you have even a slight interest in history I highly suggest checking out this little sector of YouTube. It will make you see the world in a much different light.

Comments

  1. Woah. This is really cool Emily! I would've never thought of this but I agree, abandoned buildings and businesses are very interesting. There is an abandoned shopping mall near my home and I am so fascinated by the photos I see from the building. Keep up the cool hobby!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Should I start a freelance business?

Popular posts from this blog

How much lettuce have you eaten?

My Pinterest Problem

First impressions of Periscope