Health tips from an everyday student

Losing weight is a part of life that most people will struggle with. I am not a healthcare professional or even a health nut, but I made a major change for myself about 7 months ago and I am happy to say I have lost the freshman 15 and then some. So for this post I want to share the most important lessons and tricks I have learned.

 


Ditch the attitude

When you reach a point where you decide you need to lose weight you can feel like a failure, but you’re not. Before you can make any progress you have to get rid of the idea that you have done something wrong, you are not a mistake and you can make a change for yourself if you try. Overcome this hurdle and it will be much smoother sailing.



Track yourself

I started really pushing myself when I got my Fitbit, but you do not need one to make a change. Even a cheap pedometer or an app will help you see where you are starting. These allow you to see if you need to be more active or if what you eat is what is holding you back.

 


What you eat matters

As a college student it can be easy to lose track of what you are eating. Between class and activities it often feels like you are eating on the move and you can only eat what is fast which usually means fried. This is possible to overcome if you pay attention.
Here are some substitutions and adjustments I made:

·         Stay hydrated! I try to drink water with every meal (bonus, it will make your food taste better) and drink at least 64 ounces every day. It speeds up your metabolism and makes you feel super awesome. I have a liter water bottle from Nathan and I love it, I know that if I drink two I am good to go (plus you can save money by buying them at Marshall's).
·         Restructure side dishes. Try your best to choose healthy sides, fries are unhealthy and usually sit under a heat lamp for hours, they are super overrated anyway.
·         Think about your condiments. Condiments are one of the easiest way to tack on a bunch of fat and calories. I started using mustard on my sandwiches instead of mayonnaise and avoiding them altogether when possible.
·         Substitute This is one of the easiest things to do. Just like with condiments, think about what you can replace easily. Love your Starbucks lattes and frappuccinos? Get almond or coconut milk instead, I think it tastes better too.
·         Treat ‘yo self, but not too much. By all means, eat cake and ice cream at birthday parties. Eat something just because you like it at least once a week. But you only need one plate at family gatherings and a single serving of turkey at Thanksgiving.



You can’t not exercise

Exercising has never been one of my favorite things to do, but there is no way you will be able to make a major change without a little movement. If I am not feeling super motivated I will just bring my phone or tablet to the treadmill and walk while I watch Netflix. Do not be afraid to mix it up, I have also done everything from cardio drumming to hula hooping. If you are not sure where to start just get online and look for simple exercises. It will not be fun at first and you will not see results immediately, but stick with it and it will be worth it in the end.


Making a life change is hard, but it is completely possible for anyone. Hopefully these simple tips will help you reach your goals. If you stick with it and push yourself you can do anything, but remember you are perfect just the way you are and no matter what a scale says no one can take that away. Do it for you and do it for health, it feels so good once you have reached your goal.


Comments

  1. This is so true with everything you are saying. Unfortunately with everything that a college student has to go through, it's hard to remember to exercise honestly. I try but it can be difficult to stay up to things, especially if it is finals week.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Should I start a freelance business?

Popular posts from this blog

How much lettuce have you eaten?

My Pinterest Problem

Why women don't have pockets.